4.19.2005

Sheffield Stuff
I haven't commented on the Gary Sheffield incident at Boston the other night, so I thought I'd take a moment to do that now.

While Sheffield did show great restrain in not jumping in the stands and fighting fans, I still think he has to be punished for taking a swing or push or whatever it was at a fan. I'm not saying a lengthy suspension, but I don't think a game or two would be too much to ask.

Like with the Ron Artest situation, I hate the rationale of "YOU WOULD'VE DONE IT TOO!". First of all, no I wouldn't have. Second of all, I understand that people have an instinct to defend themselves. Ron Artest wasn't defending himself, Nor was Stephen Jackson for that matter. They were running in the stands looking to fight anybody they could. That's not self-defense. Gary Sheffield didn't do anything like Artest of Jackson, and I do agree he could've went "Artest" and ran into the stands like a psychopath. He didn't, and that is good for the game. Still he should have some sort of consequence, because you simply cannot have players going into the stands. Fans don't go on the field, players don't go into the stands and we can all live happily ever after.

Fans are stupid. Players are stupid. If you go to a game, don't throw things on the field, don't spill beer on players, don't take a swipe at a player. Just sit there, enjoy the game, drink your beer and try not to incite a riot.

9:54 AM